It’s getting lighter! We are not into spring yet, but it’s coming and those of us who live in colder climates are having a few days in the mix with warmer weather. That being said, salads are back. I love my salads and in the cooler months I find it helpful to add some warm to the salad. It could be squash, cooked grain, baked fruit, or even warm turkey bacon.
Winter Warmer Salad
• 1 medium delicata squash, seeded and sliced into 1/2″ half-moons
• 2 tbsp. avocado oil
• 1 tsp. sea salt
• 10 oz. baby arugula or hearty mixed greens
• 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
• 4 oz. goat cheese or vegan cheese
• 1/2 cup roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
• *option to top with chicken or fish easily.
• 5 sprigs rosemary
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp. honey mustard
• 2 tsp. maple syrup
Toss squash in avocado oil and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until tender.
For the dressing, cook the olive oil on low heat with the rosemary, after 5-8 minutes, strain out the rosemary and mix the mustard and maple into the oil.
Place the greens, squash, cheese and shallot on a large plate and top with the dressing. Like noted above, you can top this salad with anything…tofu, Pumfu, chicken, fish, or nothing.